The Works International Visual Arts Society presents The Works Art & Design Festival: 13 days of art and design exhibits, special events, music, workshops, and family programming. Attracting artists, designers and visitors from all around the world, this city-wide event boosts the energy and imagination of downtown Edmonton at the start of every summer. Free to the public, The Works strives to create barrier free access to art and design. The festival dates are June 20 to July 2, 2019.
QR Code Link to This Post
Guide festival visitors through pop-up art galleries on The Works Art & Design Festival site. Engage in meaningful conversation and offer insight on artists, artwork and the festival as a whole. The Works offers free, daily guided tours, integral to ensuring a positive, educational experience to community members and art enthusiasts.
Tour Guides must complete TART training.
TART (Training in ART) is a free, educational program for developing skills in art interpretation and public art education, ultimately preparing participants to lead engaging public tours through the festival artwork. Training consists of approximately 8 hours of classroom workshop sessions and homework, and 3 hours of hands-on training at the festival site.
Though many TART participants have some educational background in the arts, we provide extra modules for participants desiring some information on art history and formal elements of art. The goal of The Works free public tours is not to dispatch dates, facts and history, but to foster dialogue and encourage visitors to have meaningful interactions with artists and artwork.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to walk/travel up to 2 km without a vehicle
TART Volunteers have opportunities to:
• Meet and work with festival artists through exclusive artists talks and (possibly) some artist assistant positions
• Lead patrons on tours around the festival site
• Receive deeper art interpretation training to promote meaningful conversations about art with patrons
• Provide suggestions for improvement and growth of the festival
• Invitation to The Works volunteer appreciation party
• Free admission to some year-round events
• A complimentary volunteer t-shirt
• Several chances to win prizes
• Summer fun and a deep dive into Edmonton’s art scene
To apply for a TART Tour Guide position, indicate your interest on the volunteer application form, found at http://www.theworks.ab.ca/festival-positions